Residence Permits

Regulations for your residency in Germany can vary depending on your country of origin.
  • Students who are not from EU member countries or Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway must be in possession of a valid residence permit.
  • Citizens of the EU as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway do not require a residence permit, but must register at their local "Bürgeramt" (administrative office for citizens) upon arrival in Germany. They may also apply for the so-called freedom of movement certificate there. More information on this and the necessary application may be obtained from the website of the foreigners authority (This page is only available in German).

Applying for a Residence Permit at the Foreigners Authority

All students who are not from member countries of the European Union (EU) or Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway must file their application for a residence permit at the "Ausländerbehörde" ( foreigners authority).
The residence permit is only valid for the registered course of studies. Transfers to another university, internal transfers to another study programme or transfers from the preparatory course to a specific course of studies all require a renewal of the residence permit.

Important: Please visit the foreigners authority in due time, because we are unable to enrol you or issue your student identity card if you have not been issued a residence permit.

To avoid long waiting times at the foreigners authority, we recommend making an appointment. Because appointments are always booked out 10-12 weeks in advance, you should ask for an appointment two to three months prior to the start of the term. You can do this by email or through the Online Appointment Booking System from your native country. It is imperative that you arrive punctually for your appointment! If you come too late, your application will not be processed and you will receive a new appointment.
Scheduling an appointment with the foreigners authority (This page is only available in German)

Please note: The residence permit becomes invalid if you leave Germany for a duration of more than six months!

Contact Foreigners Authority

Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten Ausländerbehörde
Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24
13353 Berlin

Opening Hours:
Monday, Tuesday 07:00 am - 14:00 pm
Thursday 10:00 am - 18:00 pm
Wednesday, Friday closed

Phone: +49 (0)30-90269-4000

Required Documents

Please make sure to bring the following when having a residence permit issued or renewed:
  • Application for a Residence Permit [PDF, 120 KB]  (This page is only available in German)
  • Passport or identity card
  • 1 up-to-date biometric passport photograph
  • Certification of health insurance coverage ( if under 30 years)
  • Confirmation of student status, obtainable from the international students’ advisor
  • Registration certificate from the "Bürgeramt" ( administrative office for citizens)
  • Proof of source of livelihood (scholarship, letter from bank, bank statements, letter from parents, etc.)
  • EUR 110.00 residence permit fee

You can find information on biometric passport photos here: Examples of biometric photos [PDF, 1 MB] (This page is only available in German)
Important notes regarding proof of source of livelihood can be found in the Entry Requirements/Visa section.

Information Material

 Go back